We know how effective Facebook advertising can be, and Instagram is no different. Instagram boasts over 400 million accounts, with about 80 million photos shared daily. That is a lot of traffic! The key point to keep in mind is that Instagram is visual, so the bulk of your storytelling relies on images and videos rather than words.
Here are 5 basic tips to get you started as an Instagram advertiser.
How Can I Produce Instagram Ads?
If you already know how to make an ad for Facebook, then this will be easy for you! Instagram ads use the same creation tools as Facebook ads. In fact, you need a Facebook account in order to create your ad for Instagram. You can create the ad right in Facebook’s ad manager (https://www.facebook.com/business/help/1634705703469129?helpref=faq_content), Power Editor (https://www.facebook.com/business/help/1443935649245791?helpref=faq_content) or the Facebook Ads API (https://developers.facebook.com/docs/marketing-apis).
How Will My Instagram Ads Look?
In Instagram, ads are incorporated into user feeds, so they will see your ad alongside the content of their Instagram friends. They will contain a “sponsored” icon on the top right, and a button on the bottom right as a call to action (for example, this can link to your Instagram account or website). Every ad also contains a short caption below the image or video.
If you choose to use one image or video in your ad, you have to decide on the format. You have two choices: square or landscape. The difference is that the landscape format appears as a rectangle, and works best for horizontal images. Square images are more in line with the look and feel of Instagram.
For multiple images, utilize the carousel format. However, you are limited to only using the square format while in carousel. Your image will appear with arrows on either side of it, which will allow users to click on them to view the next or previous image.
Who Can Make Ads on Instagram? Do I need a Facebook Page?
Anyone can create an Instagram ad as long as you have a Facebook page, of course. You also will need a Facebook ad account in order to track your advertising budget on Instagram.
Do I need an Instagram Account to Run My Instagram Ad Campaign?
Ironically, you do not need an Instagram account to run ads on Instagram. As previously mentioned, you do need a Facebook account.
However, it’s in your best interests to get an Instagram account for a variety of reasons:
- If you forgo an Instagram account, then your business’ Facebook page will be displayed on the Instagram ads.
- One of the best parts of advertising on Instagram (and Facebook) is the ability to directly communicate with your clientele via the comments. If you don’t have an Instagram account, you will not be able to respond to any comments on your ad, which could be detrimental to your communication strategy.
- When people look for you on Instagram after viewing your ad, they’ll see your Facebook page’s name, but it won’t be clickable. This means they won’t be able to see your full page on Facebook … which could lead to a loss of a potential client!
- Another thing to keep in mind: If your business’ Facebook page name is greater than the character limit for Instagram, it will be truncated. This means your full name won’t display properly, again limiting the information you’re giving to your potential customers.
To run ads without an Instagram account:
- Go to ad creation.
- At the Campaign level, choose an objective for your ad that supports Instagram.
- Click Set Audience & Budget. Complete the Audience and Budget & Schedule sections of ad creation, then click Choose Ad Creative.
- In the Creative section, you’ll first need to connect a Facebook Page. Below Instagram Account, you’ll see the Page you connected has automatically been selected to be the voice of your ads on Instagram. If you’d like to add an Instagram account, click Add an Account.
- Before you place your order, make sure that there’s a check next to Instagram in the Ad Preview section of ad creation. This will ensure your ad will be eligible to run on Instagram.
What Are Instagram’s Advertising Policies and Quality Guidelines?
Facebook is responsible for reviewing the content of the ads before they are posted on Instagram. This typically takes 24 hours. Facebook outlines a variety of prohibited content, which are the main reasons why an ad would be rejected (https://www.facebook.com/policies/ads). Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Be careful when mentioning Facebook or Instagram in a post. They’re very protective of their brand and your mention must adhere to their brand guidelines.
- Advertise for “grown-up” products wisely. There are a few rules on advertising alcohol, the lottery, dating websites, and other age-restricted products on Instagram. The full list of potential red flags can be found here (https://www.facebook.com/policies/ads/#restricted_content).
- No nudity. Facebook and Instagram are very strict about adult content, including suggested nudity and positions.
- No violence. This includes items that would be considered shocking, sensational or disrespectful to the reasonable population.